AmeriCorps & Habitat OC
Change the world - one family and home at a time. Join AmeriCorps and work at Habitat OC.
Learn - Transform - Improve
Update: All AmeriCorps positions have been filled for the current service year. If you are interested in receiving information about our future service opportunities, please contact AmeriCorpsVISTA@HabitatOC.org. Thank you!
Learn about AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps is the national service initiative that provides community service opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. Through their service, AmeriCorps members address critical needs in local communities such as building affordable housing, tutoring and mentoring youth, fighting illiteracy, improving health services, teaching computer skills, cleaning parks and streams, and helping communities respond to disasters. Habitat OC works with AmeriCorps members to build homes and relationships with our families and volunteers.
Each year, Habitat OC welcomes a new group of AmeriCorps members who serve as team leaders, trainers, supervisors and community ambassadors. The AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our team, both on the construction site and in the office. Through their efforts and service, AmeriCorps members increase capacity for Habitat OC and allow us to serve more local, working families.
AmeriCorps Members Will:
- Work together with working families and volunteers to build affordable, ownership homes.
- Strengthen communities by educating and uniting volunteers in the fight against poverty housing.
- Develop procedures and build capacity for new programs such as the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative and the ReStore.
- Work with potential partner families through the application process.
- Develop a sense of citizenship by serving and reflecting on their experience as team leaders and community organizers.
Duration of Commitment
VISTA members are expected to commit to a full year of service, while National Direct Members commit to 11 months. Most positions start in either August or September. Serving approximately 40 hours per week is necessary for each member to achieve the minimum requirement of 1,700 service hours. AmeriCorps members are accepted on a yearly basis, and may serve a maximum of two years in any AmeriCorps program (with some exceptions).
- A living allowance of approximately $12,530 - $16,716
- $400 monthly rental stipend paid directly to the member's landlord
- Health Insurance (Provided by Habitat for Humanity International)
- Holiday and vacation time
- AmeriCorps sweatshirt and t-shirt
- Loan forbearance on most student loans
- Interest accrued on qualifying student loans while serving in the program may be reimbursed by federal government
- Segal Education Award ($5,730) or end-of-service stipend ($1,500 - VISTA only option) upon successful completion of program
How do I apply?
If you are interested in serving for the 2015-2016 term, please contact the Habitat OC AmeriCorps Host Site Manager or call 714-434-6200 x239. Please note that acceptance into the program is subject to official position approval, a background check, and applicant approval from Habitat for Humanity International.
Source: A shout out to Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco for sharing information to create this page.